Code Enforcement/Neighborhood Services Unit

City Ordinances provide minimum standards for property conditions in order to maintain good and healthy neighborhoods.  As we age, we try to take steps to improve our health.  Our neighborhoods also require care and maintenance as they age.  Neighborhoods that are not maintained not only deteriorate, but also cost residents more money, property values fall, vandalism and crime occur more frequently and neighborhoods become unattractive.

The Code Enforcement Officer is responsible for ensuring various City Ordinances relating to Safety, Sanitation and Health are adhered to.

Some of the most common code violations include:

Care of Premises/Filthy Accumulations:  City Ordinance 660.01

Unsightly conditions that are visible from a public right-of-way are usually considered Filthy Accumulations.

Appliances, building materials, rubbish or similar items cannot be openly stored on property.  This not only detracts from the appearance of the property but is also a nuisance for the surrounding property owners.

Inoperable Vehicles and Parts:  City Ordinance 660.02

An owner or occupant of a property cannot store an inoperable vehicle or any parts of a machine or vehicle on the property other than in an enclosed structure.

A vehicle is considered inoperable if it does not have a current tag/registration, has flat tire(s), no engine, severe damage or other condition that prohibits the vehicle from being driven legally on a public street.

Tall Grass/Weeds:  City Ordinance Chapter 678

A person who owns a lot or tract of land within the City of Sidney shall maintain any growth of grass or weeds so that it may not be allowed to grow over 12 inches in height.

The Code Enforcement Officer works closely with citizens, other City Departments and the City Prosecutor to keep all of our neighborhoods healthy and safe.

Notice is given to residents that are in violation of City Ordinances and allows ample time for correction of the issues.

  • If the issue is not corrected by the resident, the matter is referred to the City Prosecutor for further action.
  • After proper judicial proceedings, the City may arrange for the correction of issues and bill the property owner for the actual cost of abatement.